Soils underpin human society, providing the foundation upon which we build our communities and supply our needs. As such, soil science is incredibly important in forging a sustainable future for all. However, soil science is sadly not representative of the wealth of human experience, lacking in diversity and often remaining ignorant of the historical legacies that shape our work. We want to work together to address these issues, helping to raise awareness of how we can build a more equitable and diverse community and providing resources for everyone to use. As a starting point we have created a pledge which sets out the scope of what we want to do and gives us a place to start discussion and grow from.
We pledge to:
- Cultivate a diverse and equal community within soil science
- Be aware of our position and privilege as individuals and as members of our respective institutions
- Educate ourselves on the historical and cultural context in which we as people and institutions operate
- Remove barriers to engaging in soil science
- Recognise, respect and incorporate local knowledge and interests within our work
- Promote equity of access to our work and experience